Thursday 27 June 2013

Beyond Banksy...

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4203421/?claim=83jcheggnrt">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

While I was browsing the internet I came across a project/exhibition that I've been meaning to write about but just haven't got round to it.
Last year I was down in London, staying in Shoreditch and I noticed a few pieces of street art that were really interesting. Not thinking anything of it I put it down to a happy encounter if nothing else. When I came back home after Christmas I found out about the 'Beyond Banksy: Not another gift shop' exhibition curated by the Street Museum of Art.
This reminded me of when I was in Barcelona around 13 years ago and I was amazed at the street art that seemed to go beyond just 'writing your name on a wall'. The work was so political and the artists had amazing skills in drawing and use of colour, not to mention working on a huge scale. I'm so glad to see this type of work being showcased in Britain because I think street art still has negative connotations in this country which is a shame because its one of the most accessible art forms and very non-elitist.

The curators invited a group of artists who use the urban environment as a medium in their work. Each of the artists is so different in their style and how they use the medium. I've loved the work of Brooklyn based artists, Faile, for a long time and i'm pleased to see their work among the artists. I hadn't come across the work of Phlegm before but I enjoyed the links to folk art in their work merged with the urban environment.

Some of the works in the exhibition...

Work by Phlegm
 
Work by Faile
 
Work by Skewville

No comments:

Post a Comment